WHEN - January 19th, 2008.
Hosted by -
DelAir Rockhounds Trip leader: Jon Meredith
CO Host San Joaquin Valley Lapidary Society
CO Host Lewis Helfrich CFMS Field Trip Chairman South
Both Clubs members of the CFMS Field Trip Co-Op Southern CA.
Where - Santa Barbara, CA (Refugio, Gaviota, and El Capitan
Location/Directions - Refugio beach is located 20 miles West of Santa Barbara on
Highway 101 at Refugio Road.
Map - http://www.parks.ca.gov/lat_long_map/default.asp?lvl_id=242
There are public restrooms at all sites, changing rooms at
Refugio, and beach "showers" at all sites.
Materials Available -
Fossil Whale bone, chert, fossil
horse teeth have been found - in creeks, agates, jasper.
What Does It Cost? -
Parking fees: $8.00 per vehicle, fee good for all
locations on same day
What do I Need? -
- You will need Water, shoes, sandals, or old sneakers and old clothes you don't mind getting sandy and a towel or two.
- Dry clothes for trip home a variety of warm garments (sweatshirts,
jackets, etc.)temperatures could be anywhere from 45 to 75.
- Citrus based hand cleaner for tar removal (there are
natural seeps in the Santa Barbara Channel).
- Food and/or beverages NO ALCOHOL (mini marts closed in winter).
Where Do We Meet? -
- The day will start at Refugio State Beach at approximately 11 a.m.
- With low tide at 1413 (2:13 p.m.), this will give us about 2 hours of collecting time here before moving to Gaviota or El Capitan for the low tide period.
Refugio has rock beds which are exposed during mean tide periods where whale bone can be found.
This can be quite an eventful trip, depending on weather, wildlife, and civilians. In January 2006, we collected over 200 lbs of bone as a group. This is a good trip for rockhounds of all ages, and for scout troops, etc.
Plese E-Mail me for further information and number of participants
going in your group at - Meredith@flashercrew.net.
Or those leaving Bakersfield contact Lew at - firstname.lastname@example.org.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- All participants must sign a CFMS RELEASE OF LIABILITY prior to going on this trip. Lew will have the release and it will be
distributed at the meeting site at Refugio State Beach .
- No Guns or alcohol.
- These trips are designed to be fun for both young and old .
Profane language or disorderly conduct will not be tolerated and
delt with accordingly.
- Every day we are losing rock hounding places due to abuse and
neglect. Please pack out more than you packed in .Take what you need.
If you dig, fill it in when you are finished.
Hope to see you there